Heads up friends!! Starting in early-mid October, you may begin to feel a subtle (or not so subtle) slowdown, a drain on your energies. That’s because Mars retrograde is coming starting in late October.
Mars goes retrograde every other year for approximately 70 to 80 days.
What does Mars retrograde mean?
Mars is the outermost of the “personal planets.” During the 2-year Mars cycle, the red planet scouts all 12 signs like a guard, stopping about every 2 years to have a look back. Check the gates, sharpen the swords, and shore up the defenses.
Mars in astrology represents physical energy. Mars associates with matters of war and conflict, as well as situations where there is lots of excitement and action, such as new relationships, competitions, and sexual encounters.
Planets in retrograde lose steam, clarity, and direction. When Mars is retrograde, we often experience persistent difficulties moving forward. You might feel like you’re spinning your wheels, walking through quicksand, or paddling upstream.
Mars represents strength— and when Mars is retrograde this is time to focus on strengthening the weaknesses in your life, your business, your health. Gather your strength and reinforce your position, rather than burn up your reserves.
Anything new that is postponed during Mars retrograde is probably for the better. Everyone will have less energy and patience, and a lower threshhold for stress. Everyone’s drive, energy levels, and libido will tend to be lower than normal. Impatience and frustration will be higher, especially on the dates marked in red 🔴 below.
Most of the conflicts and challenges that appear now are temporary— that’s why you need to cultivate patience and stay focused on the long-term outcome you really want.
The best use of this time is to wait, plan, and accept the compromises that will make it work in the long run. Delays and detours may turn out to be valuable, as you discover something of worth along the way. This is an excellent time to go back over recent developments in your life with the aim of updating your goals and methods.
Here’s what you need to know about Mars retrograde
- Be patient! And accept delays. New projects and plans that people initiate now are likely to stall or not develop as expected.
- Try not to be in a hurry. Slow down when you’re feeling frustrated. When Mars is retrograde, we see more accidents, arguments, and injuries from impulsive actions and unrecognized anger, especially on the dates marked in red 🔴 below.
- Strengthen your weak areas. You can make significant adjustments now that will improve your chances in the future, especially on the dates marked in green 🟢 below.
- Keep your life simple. Internalized stress can cause health problems.
- Bad news for bullies & plaintiffs: The aggressor loses the fight.
With Mars retrograde in Gemini this time around, communication mishaps might make it feel like Mercury is in retrograde. Things seem to be moving forward quickly, but not always effectively. You may see two steps back for every step forward. But this can serve to help you make the proper updates and fix those weaknesses so that you’ll be stronger moving forward.
Anger can flare up quickly and blows over just as fast. But some folks will fly off the handle and make very poor decisions now, responding with violence and anger instead of patience and dialogue. This is especially true when Mars makes stressful aspects– which it will be doing a lot this Summer and Fall.
So take your time with important calls, emails, and messages. Give a situation time to play out a little before you make up your mind. Choose your own words carefully– and don’t let others push you around with words or poison your mind with gossip either.
- Mars enters Gemini: August 20, 2022
- Mars enters its retrograde shadow: September 3
- 🟢 Mars sextile Chiron – September 15-17
- 🟢 Mars trine Saturn (1) ~September 24-27
- 🔴 Mars square Neptune (1) ~ October 8-12
- Mars retrograde begins: October 30 at 25° Gemini
- 🔴 Retrograde Mars square Neptune (2) ~November 15-19
- 🟢 Retrograde Mars trine Saturn (2) ~November 24-28
- 🟢 Retrograde Mars sextile Chiron (2) ~December 14-19
- Mars retrograde ends: – January 12 at 08° Gemini
- 🟢 Mars sextile Chiron (3) ~February 8-11
- 🔴 Mars square Neptune (3) ~March 10-14
- Mars leaves its retrograde shadow – March 15
- Mars enters Cancer – March 25
- 🟢 Mars trine Saturn (3) ~March 26-30
- Download my pdf calendar with the green & red dates for the current quarter
In the body, Mars rules body heat, the fight-or-flight response, the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood (which depends on iron– also ruled by Mars), the immune response, adrenal function, and inflammation.
Internalized stress will be a major drag on health during these two months, making effective coping strategies important for all of us. This is a terrific time to work on replacing unhealthy coping patterns, such as smoking cigarettes, eating nutrient-poor food, and drinking alcohol with healthier habits like eating nutritious food (start with breakfast), meditating, and staying well-hydrated.
Mars represents your physical vitality and strength. You’ll have fewer “spoons,” especially if you have birth chart placements in Aries or Scorpio.
Accidents and injuries, especially due to fatigue or distraction, are more common. Be careful on the sports field, in the kitchen, on the road, and in the workshop, especially on the days listed above.
This year’s retrograde takes place in the sign Gemini. This placement suggests that the shoulders, arms, hands, and lungs are the most vulnerable to the inflammatory nature of Mars. An anti-inflammatory diet can help a lot. The standard American diet is high in processed carbohydrates and/or food allergens (the most common are gluten, dairy, and soy), and low in anti-inflammatory healthy fats.
Whatever your symptoms, dehydration can exacerbate them. You may need more fluids during this super-heated Mars retrograde in the dry, windy air sign Gemini.
This retrograde intensifies and concentrates the Mars energy while directing it inward. Thus, we all tend to be harder on ourselves. Look back at the past for insights into yourself. But try not to beat yourself up, or take your frustration out on others. Don’t define yourself by the worst thing you have ever done (even if other people do). Love and compassion toward your own human-ness helps you unburden yourself of old resentments toward others, too.
Ask for help– and reach out to others who may be struggling through this difficult period, too.
How is your Mars retrograde going? Leave a comment below to share your story.