2021 Mercury retrograde in Gemini
You don’t know what you don’t know
Mercury retrograde may seem to come on a bit early this time, as Mercury pulls into a 90° “square” angle with Neptune– god of the ocean and other inscrutable realms, like art, music, and imagination. You may feel the energy start to shift around May 22.
On the one hand, this is great– folks have access to their imagination and intuition. It’s a great time to freshen up an old article or poem, interpret your dreams, get spiritual insights, and let your mind align itself with the formless, flowing vibe of this period of time. Logical Mercury and dreamy Neptune are both at peak power in the signs they rule, opening access to the unseen realms of spirit, art, and the power of language to create and shape reality.
A more problematic tendency with a Mercury-Neptune contact is that folks will believe what they want to or trust someone who isn’t who they seem. Neptune’s artistic gifts as well as the tendency to fear, anxiety, and worry are about the same thing: Illusion. Neptune often shows up as misinformation, poisonous gossip, and/or outright lies. Neptune symbolizes the power of imagination for good and for ill. Disappointment or disillusionment may be part of the story.
George Bernard Shaw was correct when he said: “The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.”
Mercury-Neptune makes you more likely to miss an important detail or make a hasty decision when you’re confused or distracted. Or before you have all the important information. This is especially important to keep in mind in the first 5 days of June.
And that’s not even all that’s going on right now. The Titans are clashing overhead. Saturn and Uranus– the forces of tradition, stability, rigidity, the Old Guard on the one hand. On the other hand, we have Uranus, the force of chaos, change, reform. Remember January 2021? That was chapter 1. May-June is chapter 2. That’s why things are feeling increasingly tense now.–> Saturn square Uranus
Mercury retrograde at work
- Double-check all outgoing messages before you seal the envelope or hit the “send” button.
- Text-astrophe! Errors, typos, crossed wires, connectivity problems, traffic, and schedule changes are typical of Mercury retrograde.
- If you find it difficult to move forward on a writing or communication project, try going backward! Review, update, and edit your old work.
- Look to the past notes and plans for answers. You may rediscover a valuable nugget in your old files, notes, and archives.
Mercury retrograde in close relationships
- Outright dishonesty is one possible manifestation of the energy.
- More common is the garden variety “not wanting to deal with it right now”. Or feeling too confused about your own feelings and state of mind to talk about it.
- Keep this in mind if things feel weird & unsettled in the last week of May and the first week of June.
- You may reconnect with a friend or family member you haven’t seen in a while.
Mercury retrograde and your Health
- If you are feeling unsure about a diagnosis or treatment plan, keep asking questions. Make sure you understand and agree with the plan before you move forward.
- Use this period to research treatment options or get a second opinion.
- Diagnostic tests may come up inconclusive or need repeating later.
- If you’re sensitive to airborne toxins or allergens, change the air filters and take any other precautions you need to protect yourself.
- Mercury rules children, siblings, and pets– the kids and critters may need extra attention.
- Mercury enters its retrograde shadow: May 14, 2021
- ☂ Mercury square Neptune (1): May 22
- Mercury retrograde at 24° Gemini: May 29
- (☂☂ Mars opposite Pluto – June 1-5)
- ☂ Mercury square Neptune (2): June 5
- Solar Eclipse conjunct Mercury: June 10
- ☂☂☂ Saturn square Uranus: (in force all of May & June) peak June 14
- Mercury direct at 16° Gemini: June 22
- ☂ Mercury square Neptune (3): July 5
- Mercury exits its retrograde shadow: July 7
- via Molly’s Astrology Calendar
More info on retrograde with diagrams: Retrograde planets (Birth Charts for Beginners)
What are the dates for Mercury retrograde in 2021?
- January 30 – February 20
- May 29 – June 22
- September 27 – October 18
Mercury retrograde 2022 dates
- January 14 – February 3
- May 10 – June 3
- September 9 – October 2
- December 29 – January 18, 2023
- source: Molly’s Astrology Calendar