June 18 – July 12, 2020
Mercury retrograde in Cancer
I think Mercury retrograde is probably the number one “gateway” event that pulls people into the realness of astrology beyond the horoscopes. I have not done a formal survey on this. But it’s one of the easiest astrological events to witness in real-time. For one thing, its influence on everyday things is so apparent that even people who aren’t “into” astrology can get on board with it. And it happens regularly, every four months. Like a familiar friend (or frenemy).
In astrology, Mercury represents communication, logistics, and everyday, mundane details. Mercury retrograde is the time when little things can become big things. The computer barfs. The car barfs. The cat barfs. The internet connection goes out. There’s confusion about the schedule. You can’t find that piece of paper you need. The traffic is horrendous. The cat barfs ON the computer… There are literally a million little details that can blow up and cause you to slow down, adjust, and look at things in a new way.
George Bernard Shaw was correct when he said: “The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” Even with the best intentions, what you say may not come across in the way you meant it. When Mercury retrograde is in emotional sign Cancer, those communication glitches can hit us right in the “feels.” And most of us don’t know how to truly listen. The empathy you provide may be even more important than the information.
- Double-check all outgoing messages before you seal the envelope or hit the “send” button.
- Text-astrophe! Errors, typos, crossed wires, connectivity problems, traffic, and schedule changes are typical of Mercury retrograde.
- If you find it difficult to move forward on a writing or communication project, try going backward! Review, update, and edit your old work.
- Look to the past for answers. You may rediscover a valuable or sentimental nugget in your old files, notes, and archives.
- Cancer rules the home, family, and emotions. If a co-worker, friend, or loved one is struggling to communicate their feelings, be patient.
- Take time to really listen and reflect back. Make sure you hear and understand what they are trying to say.
- You may reconnect with a friend or family member you haven’t seen in a while.
- If you are feeling unsure about a diagnosis or treatment plan, keep digging. Make sure you understand the plan before you move forward.
- Diagnostic tests may come up inconclusive or need repeating later.
- Use this period to research treatment options or get a second opinion.
- Pets may need more attention.
The aspects that Mercury makes during the retrograde tell the story. The square to Chiron suggests interactions that hit home in a painful way. But the sextile to Uranus shows an opportunity to experiment with something different, find a new way forward, and uncover an important truth.
- June 2 – Mercury enters its retrograde shadow (05° Cancer)
- June 5 – Mercury sextile Uranus, Mercury square Chiron 
- June 18 – Mercury turns retrograde (14° Cancer)
- June 30 – Mercury sextile Uranus 
- July 1 – Mercury square Chiron 
- July 8 – Mercury square Mars
- July 12 – Mercury turns direct (05° Cancer)
- July 21 – Mercury square Chiron 
- July 22 – Mercury sextile Uranus 
- July 26 – Mercury exits its retrograde shadow (14° Cancer)
- via Molly’s Astrology Calendar