What does Mars in Libra mean?
First the technical, then the good stuff!
“Mars in Libra” on an astrology calendar means that from our perspective here on Earth, Mars is moving through the part of the sky we call Libra, known for its association with one-on-one relationships and partnerships.
Transiting Mars shows where the action and activity is brewing. Mars transiting through the sign Libra stirs the pot in partnerships, through relationships, or in response to others.
In a birth chart, Mars in Libra means that from our perspective here on earth, Mars was moving through Libra at the moment of your birth, making this other-oriented nature a feature of the “blueprint” that makes you who you are.
If your birth chart has Libra planets, you will respond strongly when Mars approaches those places in your birth chart. But I won’t focus on the birth chart for long, because this post is about the “astrological weather”, the cosmic relationship soup that we’re all floating in.
Libra’s influence energizes the idea of the “other.” Make best use of this by cheerleading others. Make time for the people who build you up– and when you have a little extra energy, use it to assist another, perform a kindness or other good deed, or just be there to listen and support.
Mars in Libra – August 27 – October 11, 2023
Mars’ entry into Libra this Summer increases calls for justice, fairness, and diplomacy. It stokes the urge to partner up, make others happy, and build bridges of understanding.
The art of getting through Mars in Libra is finding space to compromise and validate others without losing or undermining yourself in the process.
It’s time to put your focus and effort toward creating harmony and success in partnerships. To learn or utilize your listening, negotiation, and compromise skills. Look for a solution that allows for all sides to be heard and understood. In the most difficult conflicts, a skilled third party, like a therapist or mediator, may be helpful. But venting to an unskilled third party, like a gossip pal, could leave issues to fester, which makes them more complicated in the long run.
At its worst, this other-focus results in blaming or projection of your insecurities on others. Mars in Libra can show up as holding others responsible for your harmony. Then playing judge, blaming or even attacking them when it does not work. (“Look what you made me do.”)
Libra also tends to triangulate. For example, if you have a problem with me, you aggressively “team up” with others against me instead of bringing the problem to me, giving it a chance to resolve. But there are times when you cannot safely address a problem at its source, for example if taking direct action will result in loss of income, danger, or abuse.
Key Mars in Libra dates
- Mars enters Libra – August 27
- 🔴🔴 Mars inconjunct Saturn – August 30 – September 1
- 🔴🔴 Mars inconjunct Jupiter – September 17-19
- 🔴🔴 Mars opposite Chiron – September 22-24
- 🔴🔴 Mars inconjunct Uranus – September 29 – October 1
- 🔴🔴 Mars conjunct South Node and inconjunct Neptune – October 2-5
- 🔴🔴 Mars square Pluto – October 6-8
- Mars enters Scorpio – October 12
- Dates from Molly’s Astrology Calendar
Mars in Libra at work
- Time to strengthen and nurture relationships and partnerships.
- You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Use charm and friendliness to advance your goals.
- Compromise when you can, but don’t sacrifice your peace of mind trying to please others. There are going to be folks who aren’t happy no matter what you do, especially on the 🔴🔴 days.
- Good listening skills will give you an edge at work this month.
- Schedule your most important negotiations and meetings on days when Mars aligns favorably with other planets (🟢🟢 days). This time there are no 🟢🟢 days, so do your best to avoid the 🔴🔴 days! Join Cosmic Calendar Club for in-depth forecasting notes to help you “thread the needle!”
Mars in Libra in close relationships
- The focus on the “other” during a Libra time can be a strain on any partnership as the irritability planet transits the sign of relationships.
- Dominant and uncompromising behavior hurts relationships.
- Look for the win-win outcome rather than the win-lose.
- Focus on developing the partner YOU are.
- If you make a gift or gesture expecting it to be reciprocated, make that clear to the giftee.
- Magic happens when both partners feel supported and validated in the partnership. Mars then energizes the partnership, allowing for mutuality and collaboration. (especially on the 🟢🟢 days).
Mars in Libra and your health
- Mars brings the potential for heat and inflammation to the kidneys and hips.
- On Mars’ stress days (🔴🔴 days), upsets and accidents are more likely. Safety first in all your activities.
- This is a weak point in the 2-year Mars cycle for you, if you were born with Mars in Aries. (Don’t know your Mars sign? Grab your birth chart to find out.)