2021 Mercury retrograde in Aquarius
The sign Aquarius has been in the news lately. Aquarius was the setting of December 2020’s Great Conjunction, with Saturn and Jupiter continuing their journey through this progressive and humanitarian sign. (–>Saturn in Aquarius) Mercury transiting the sign attunes the flow of information to this experimental, scientific, objective way of communicating and solving problems. Mercury brings the flow of ideas and activity into this realm. Although the retrograde presents logistical and communication challenges, it also offers an opportunity to take a step back and review the plan, open your mind and ask “what if,” experiment. Be careful with new devices and major updates while Mercury is retrograde in the sign of technology.
Mercury retrograde ends with Mercury in an extended “mingle” with the slower-moving Jupiter. Mercury will meet with Jupiter twice– on February 14 and March 4. Look for a piece of good news around that time frame. Mercury-Jupiter promises open-minded and enthusiastic optimism on the one hand– and wild exaggeration on the other. As Jupiter symbolizes legal matters, look for important announcements from Congress and the Department of Justice.
Mercury retrograde meaning
Astrologically, when a planet goes into retrograde, the conditions that the planet governs are altered and do not function as expected.
As the messenger of the gods, Mercury in astrology governs details, communication, and travel. Retrograde means it’s Murphy’s Law time. Machines tend to go a bit screwy— cars, computers, phone, fax, printer, bulldozer, and the doctor’s machine that goes ping. Miscommunication is also a common byproduct of Mercury retrograde. Contracts signed and matters begun during Mercury retrograde are subject to unexpected twists and turns in the future.
Expect heavy traffic, delays, machinery malfunctions, computer problems, and typos. Mercury retrograde is typically not a huge deal unless having accurate information is of utmost importance. Surgeries and medical tests, for example. What might happen is the test, or even the surgery, must be repeated at a later date.
On the positive side, retrograde planets draw our attention inward and to the past. Mercury retrograde is a great time to review or finish up an old project, contact an old friend, or clean out the closet. It’s also a good period for introspection, dreaming, and deep thought.
- Double-check all outgoing messages before you seal the envelope or hit the “send” button.
- Text-astrophe! Errors, typos, crossed wires, connectivity problems, traffic, and schedule changes are typical of Mercury retrograde.
- If you find it difficult to move forward on a writing or communication project, try going backward! Review, update, and edit your old work.
- Look to the past notes and plans for answers. You may rediscover a valuable nugget in your old files, notes, and archives.
- I usually have a private laugh with myself on Valentine’s Day, because it falls in the season of the most logical, detached, objective sign. Aquarius has more to do with friendship and teams than with love affairs romantic partnerships.
- Focus on clear communication, building the friendship, building the team.
- Reach out and make valuable connections in the last 2 weeks of February.
- You may reconnect with a friend or family member you haven’t seen in a while.
- If you are feeling unsure about a diagnosis or treatment plan, keep asking questions. Make sure you understand and agree with the plan before you move forward.
- Use this period to research treatment options or get a second opinion.
- Diagnostic tests may come up inconclusive or need repeating later.
- Mercury rules children, siblings, and pets– the kids and critters may need extra attention.
- Mercury conjunct Jupiter (1): January 14
- Mercury enters its retrograde shadow: January 15
- Mercury retrograde at 26° Aquarius: January 30
- Mercury conjunct Jupiter (2): February 14
- Mercury direct at 11° Aquarius: February 20
- Mercury conjunct Jupiter (3): March 4
- Mercury exits its retrograde shadow: March 13
- via Molly’s Astrology Calendar
The Magic of Mercury retrograde
If you can find space to slow down, let go of expectations, and go with the flow, you can get some very important work done. You could pick up an important thread from the past. Then you’ll come out on the other side well-informed, rehearsed, and ready to move forward once again.
Retrogrades draw the energy to the past.
A retrograde planet retraces its steps, revisiting the territory it covered before. Retrogrades draw your energy to the past. In the case of Mercury retrograde, it’s your thinking, communications, day to day activities. You might find an object you thought you had lost, catch up with an old friend or colleague, or rediscover something valuable in an old notebook or computer file.
(You could even go back and touch up your astrology skills with a review of the basics.)
Fill in the frameworks you created in the past when things were moving along at a faster rate. Develop those ideas. This isn’t the time to write new chapters. It’s time for a round of edits on the ones you have.
Retrogrades draw the energy inward.
Reliable information may be difficult to come by during Mercury retrograde, but you make up for it with inner awareness! Pay attention to the deeper issues during Mercury retrograde. Let your dreams and meditations inform you. Go back and ask the “why” questions. Look past the surface chaos to the inner root causes of the thorny issues.
What does it mean that Mercury is in retrograde?
A planet being in retrograde means that, to us here on Earth, it appears to be going backward. The opposite of retrograde motion (or Rx for short) is direct motion. Of course, Mercury is not really going backward. It is an optical illusion. Take Mercury retrograde for example. Mercury travels around the Sun faster than we do, and every 4 months, it passes us. Here on earth, we witness Mercury appearing to move backward for three weeks.
When you were a kid, did you ever go on long car trips, lie in the back seat, and stick your feet out the window? If a big car or truck passed you, it felt like you were going backward. Retrograde motion is kind of like that.
For more explanation and diagrams: Retrograde planets (Birth Charts for Beginners)
What are the dates for Mercury retrograde in 2021?
- January 30 – February 20
- May 29 – June 22
- September 27 – October 18
- source: Molly’s Astrology Calendar