North Node in Libra, South Node in Aries
Posted under Ephemera
March 22, 2014 – Oct 9, 2015
In an old Hindu myth, a snake snuck into the meeting place of the gods, which was forbidden to mortals, and had a sip of the Nectar of Immortality. The snake, now transformed into an immortal Dragon, could no longer hide. There is no undoing the Nectar of Immortality, but the great god Vishnu did what he could– he cut the beast in half. The Dragon now spends eternity circling the Zodiac in two pieces, on opposite sides of the sky. The North Node is the front half, the Dragon’s Head. The South Node is the back half, the Dragon’s Tail.
The Dragon represents lessons that we are learning on an individual and collective level at this time. On March 22, the Dragon moves into a new set of signs. The Dragon’s Head moves into Libra, and the Tail into Aries. We last saw them here 18½ years ago– August 1995 to February 1997.
The Dragon’s Tail has the gift of strength from the tail and the hind legs that power movement. The South Node speaks to our well-developed qualities and strengths. The stomach is also part of the Dragon’s Tail. There is hunger and craving at the South Node. We all have Aries somewhere in our natal chart, even if no planets are there. Somewhere in our lives, we deal (or don’t deal) with conflict, anger, dominance. That is the crux of this year’s story. How do we identify ourselves, how do we measure ourselves? How do we know that we matter? It’s a natural human urge, and it’s important to connect with it. But the stomach cannot feed itself. Nourishment has to come in through the head.
The Dragon’s Head has less brute strength, but more finesse. The eyes and ears see and hear what’s going on; the brain reasons and makes connections. Perhaps most importantly, the head has the mouth, where we take in the nourishment that will satisfy the stomach. In Libra, we get that satisfying sense that we matter in the world when we help other people get what they want. It seems counter-intuitive, but it works. There should be no losers in your game, only winners.
Aries rules our physical energy, and we may find ourselves tiring out more easily when the Nodes are active. Being around other people and using your energy to help them may give you the boost you need when you’re feeling wiped out.
Relationships have a tendency to settle into polarized roles-– nurturer/breadwinner, hyper-emotional/hyper-logical, good cop/bad cop. Look for opportunities to challenge these entrenched polarities and bring more balance to your relationships. If the idea resonates for you, The Dance of Anger by Harriet Goldhor Lerner may be an interesting read.
Do’s and Don’ts for the Libra North Node:
The following things are especially helpful. Do:
- Be polite.
- Wear clothes you look and feel good in.
- Consult the people affected by a decision before you make it.
- When appropriate, wear a helmet.
- Stand up for justice and fairness
- Ask others for their thoughts, opinions, and help.
- Keep up with your friends. Cheerlead their projects, and let them cheerlead you.
- Play matchmaker if you see potential for synergy!
- When the right partnership opportunities show up, take them!
- Know thyself.
- Be assertive. Be open about who you are, what you need, what you want.
- Study the art of negotiating.
These things are especially toxic. Don’t:
- Be aggressive, intimidating, dominating, or reckless.
- Spend time with people who are intimidating, dominating, or reckless.
- Impose your will on others without considering their needs.
- Take unnecessary safety risks.
- Isolate yourself.
- Make decisions when angry.
- Blame others for your behavior.